Wednesday, September 7, 2011

There are Many Reasons

I always get from family and friends, “Shauna why do you run your kids around to so many things?”  Believe me, there are MANY reasons I feel strongly about having my kids involved….

I love seeing the big smiles as they head off to a practice, class or lesson.  I love hearing all about what they did and learned at their activity.  I love seeing them grow and develop their talents.  I love seeing friendships develop at these after school activities.  I love the one on one time I get with my kids as I’m driving them around.  I love the life lessons that they are learning.  I love how it builds their self esteem.  I love that they are learning the rewards of hard work and practice.  I love the coaches, teachers, and scout leaders that are able to help my kids in ways I can’t.

I also love the sweet words and notes from my kids expressing gratitude for running them around.  I got a note from Kaylee tonight.  It will be one that I will treasure in my mom book.  I loved this part of her note, “I’m so glad your my mother, I will always love you no matter where I am or how old I get”

I believe the time spent running kids around is very much worthwhile for many reasons.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Just remember that family time trumps all extra curricular activities. And that children require free time to develop physically, mentally and emotionally. But you know that.

My personal philosophy was Scouts/YW and one other activity. For two reasons, I had 4 kids and didn't want to spend my evenings/weekends driving here and there on tight timelines the entire school year (dh wasn't avail to do any of the runs) and they needed to have time to be kids. And no excuses for not doing their homework.

As long as the kids are still enjoying doing it and aren't becoming stressed out it sounds like they aren't over-scheduled.