Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Random

Are you ready for another random one?!?!

I have gotten comments and emails about scripture reading with the kids.  We read as a family every night before bed.  Stephen is so good about ALWAYS doing this.  I'm the bad one that will sometimes say, "oh Stephen can't we just go to bed tonight" to which he will quickly say "oh let's at least get in  a verse".  I know I'm bad and he is good and I am grateful for him.

We then send the kids to bed and they have 30 minutes to lay in their bed and read.  I LOVE this time because the non-readers turn into readers because they want to stay up an extra 30 minutes.  My readers are in heaven with the quiet and their good book.  It is during this time that the kids read in their own scriptures as well.  I think it is such a good, peaceful time to reflect on the day and just relax.  It is also building a habit of reading their scriptures. 

Next thing I wanted to share was our conference notebooks...

Conference Books

These notebooks are for each of the kids to take notes and write down their thoughts during conference.  Yes we do the conference packets, but I think it is important for the kids to personalize it and write down thoughts that they want to remember, especially as they are getting older.  The same notebooks are pulled out each conference.  This way they can reflect on feelings and thoughts from previous conferences, AND they have ONE book that all their notes are in.  I know that these books will become more and more valuable as they get older.

In the front I glued two papers.  One lists four ideas in preparing for conference.  The very first idea is to write down a question, concern or problem that you want direction on.  The other paper is on note taking.  It talks about writing down what the speakers are saying along with your thoughts and impressions.  At the end of the talk summarize what it means to you and what you can do better in that area.  It talks about including songs and lyrics that stand out to you.  At the conclusion, you conclude you notes, promptings, and goals.  Use these notes during personal scripture study and goal setting.  That is basically the jest of the two papers, but I think they are important reminders.

Another comment is on the tomato starts.  They DO need transplanted and you will see a HUGE difference when they are given a bigger container to grow in.  Local nurseries sell the plastic containers in various sizes for just a few cents a piece.  I save containers and reuse them.  I have A LOT of the generic square plastic ones and then a few nicer ones.  The plastic container helps so that they don't dry out as much as they do in the peat containers.

Ash is our plant whisper.  She talks to them, telling them that it is snowy outside and that they have to stay in a little longer.  She tells them if they are the tallest or the smallest.  She is known to say, "WOW you have another leaf coming out!"  You can kinda see in this picture how big they are getting.  They will go outside soon in the Wall of Waters.

Tomato

AND my favorite lens that I have on my camera all the time is the Nikon 50mm 1.4.  LOVE it!

I think that answers a few questions.  Email or comment if you have another and I will try to answer it.  I do enjoy all of your sweet comments and emails!  You are all so nice!

3 comments:

courtney said...

I tell ya girl, you continually inspire me as a mother. Thank you for your wonderful example of what a mother should be. Truly.
Would it be possible for you to email me a copy of the pages that you put in your Conference Notebooks? This sounds like a wonderful tradition that I would like to start with my five kiddos. Thanks a million!
stablercourtney@gmail.com

Kim in AZ said...

I'd love to see the pages you include in the front of your conference notebooks if it is not too much trouble. I've had conference on the brain this week! :) We traditionally make 'conference punch' every conference session (sprite, hawaiian punch and pineapple juice mixed) and we have homemade cinnamon rolls one morning as well. My kids look forward to it so much!

Thanks! kanddbk at msn dot com

Mom said...

A plant whisperer, huh! I can't believe your tomatoes have grown that much since I saw them!