Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Lights

We drove around looking at the best Christmas lights in the Springs and I had to tell "the story" to my kids of Uncle Keith's lights.

My brother, Keith is VERY creative and goes all out for the holidays.  Well one year he had a two story gingerbread man that he had constructed.  It was all lit up with big lights for the eyes and buttons.  It reminded me of the Shrek gingerbread man.  His house looked like a gingerbread house.  He had a pulley rigged with Santa and reindeer that was lit up and would move toward the house.  He had a ton of little trees with lights out front.  It really was an amazing display and everyone in the small town would comment and drive by to see it.

Well, there was prize money, $100 for the house with the best lights.  The winner would be announced at the school operetta.  Keith didn't win.  In fact, he didn't even get one of the runner up prizes.  It was a surprise to see the ones that DID win.  They gave some excuse why Keith's house couldn't be considered for the prize and told him maybe next year.

SOOO Aunt Kristy immediately had a $100 bill in the mail with a cute note of how he was robbed.  Can I just say how much I LOVE siblings and how much they support each other.  When something bad happens, family is always there to jump in and help make things all better.  I am grateful for my brother and sisters.  My hope is that my kids will always be good to each other.  I told them to remember this story and always try to think what you can do to help your brother or sister when they are having a hard time.

 

3 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Now THAT is a cool story. Thank heaven for siblings who are full of awesomeness...

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

that is a GREAT Christmas story :)

Mom said...

They said the reason he could not win was because he lived on the outside of city/town limits. I do miss his beautifully decorated house displays for Christmas & Halloween. How I love my Keith & our 4 daughters!!!