Sunday, August 5, 2012

5K

The kids were excited to run Manassa’s 5K.  The night before Kaylee slept at Annie’s house with cousins.  During the sleepover Kaylee went outside barefoot to play soccer.  Needless to say, her big toe got kicked and jammed. 

When I went to pick her up the next morning for the race, she held her brave face and then lost it.  Her toe was swollen and turning black and hurt to walk on it.  She was in tears because of the race.  I assured her that it was fine and she could just watch with Rebecca and I.

She kept limping around crying as the race was preparing to start.  “Mom just let me try to run and if it hurts too bad in the first block, I will come back to you and Becca”.  Well, she limped around with pain so I knew she would be back shortly after the canon fired.

Kaylee 5K

She didn’t come back after the race started, instead she finished 24 minutes later, winning the 9-12 year old girls division.  Apparently, her toe went numb and she was determined.

But let me just say, the rest of the weekend was FILLED with tears and pain.  I should have been the wise mom to insist that she wasn’t running this year.

1 comment:

tren said...

Logan was playing soccer once and stepped on a barefoot kid's toes with his cleats. It split the kid's foot open pretty good. That stinks about Kaylee's toe, but way to go on the trophy!