Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Yet Another Random One

LOVED conference over the weekend.  I think we should have it quarterly to give me the boost I need in so many areas.  I enjoyed hearing what my kids' wrote in their journals and the stories that touched them.  It has also been good to analyze parts of it with friends to hear their thoughts. 

I saw this idea here on Brown Paper Packages and had to try it out.  I put random words on six buckets, that were each filled with their own kind of candy.  Any time that they would hear the word they could get up and get one candy out of the bucket.  It was a hit with all of us and we will definitely do it again.  It also keeps everyone awake with all of the getting up and down.

Conference Buckets 
I love seeing bits of Easter decorations here and there.  The little girls are loving these tiny two inch bunnies.

Easter Decor

A couple readers asked about this hairdo.  HERE is a tutorial on the pull through hairdo that I do on the girls.  It's basically two pieces that are separated and then pulled through the split.  Check out that link, she shows a picture by picture tutorial.

Kaylee Photo Shoot3
Then I wanted to share the two books that I recently finished, Sarah's Key and Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mom.  I didn't enjoy Sarah's Key, it was just too depressing. 

Stephen had shown me an article on the book Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother and then one of my favorite bloggers had posted about it.  I couldn't resist reading about a different view on parenting, so I went through it.
image
I did agree with some of her views on Western parents.  I feel that we DO need to have higher expectations for our children and make sure that they are aware of those expectations, and then we need to help them to achieve those expectations.  Nathan has seen me reading this at his practices and we have talked about the book.  When we saw "Rodrick Rules" and Rodrick was teaching Greg how to get away with a "C", Nathan leaned over to me reminding me that this wouldn't work on a Chinese mom.

Amy Chua also writes on the length of her daughters practices for their musical instruments.  They practice two hours a day, and sometimes maybe five or six.  I mentioned this to Nathan as well when he was heading in to practice the piano for 30 minutes.  Nathan feels that this book should NEVER have been printed for parents to read AND that Rodrick needs to hurry and write a rebuttal.... :)

ANYWAY, I also agreed with her view of how a parent should physically be there helping as much as they can with their children's practices.  Amy Chua would sit there for hours with her daughters working through their music lessons.  She would make intricate notes on what they needed to focus on.  I need to be better at that.  Sure it wouldn't work to be there for every minute nor would it be good for the child.  BUT some time in there with their practice would be beneficial.  Many times I send the kids in to practice the piano, knowing the hard pieces that they have and how I should be in there helping them.  Even with sports, I send them out to practice, BUT I don't go out myself helping to rebound or check their form.

I did think she missed such a vital part of childhood, which is the social aspect.  Amy Chua wouldn't let her daughter go on play dates, birthday parties, or sleep overs.  That was a "waste" of time that could be used more wisely.  I feel that we live in a world with MANY others and that we need to learn how to get along and interact with others since they will always be around us, whether it's in school, workforce, family, church... The social aspect is VERY important!

ANYWAY, she did ramble a bit, but I did gain new perspectives that I AM using!  You can check her book out with this link Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother Just don't tell Nathan that I'm spreading the word!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this is why they only have 1 or 2 children!

TOLIVER FAMILY said...

oh my gosh! i'm reading this right now. so glad to see you found it interesting...im only about 25% through...(battle hymm). my daughter thinks that her methods are cruel and unusual...LOL :)