Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Kids Treasure Drawers

I have a special drawer for each of my kids with their names on them.

Kids Pics

If they receive a special card from someone, an art project, medal, certificate or an assignment that they enjoyed doing in school they can put it into their drawer.  I do try and take pictures of the kids with this kind of stuff but it doesn't always happen.  Stephen and I actually have a drawer as well where we keep cards or notes from each other or from the kids.  It's basically a place to put something before it gets thrown away or lost.

Then in the summer we go through the drawers, see what would be memorable to save and stick it in their scrapbook.  It's not a cutesy, fancy scrapbook - just one that has their special papers and momentos.  Before we stick them in I have a page that has their class picture and a picture of them representing the year.  On that same page I make them answer these questions-

Who were your favorite friends?

What was your favorite subject?

What is your favorite food?

What do you want to be when you grow up?

What was your favorite book you read this year?

What was your favorite movie?

What do you enjoy doing when you have free time?

I love looking back at some of their answers in their books.  Nathan wanted to be a library cop when he was little because it would be such an easy job and he could see his kids when they come to the library.  He has moved on wanting to be a dentist because of the money factor.  Rebecca wanted to be a queen of a faraway land.  AND Kaylee has said EVERY year that she wants to be a mom when she grows up.

Some years when I don't get to all of the kids books, I separate the papers I want for that year, put them in a folder and write the above questions with their answers and the year on the folder so that years don't get all mixed up. 

Anyway, that's our little way of keeping all of the special papers, pictures, ribbons, art... all in one place!  It's so easy to say, "run put it in your special drawer".  My FAVORITE drawer is my "Mom" drawer.  I have yet to make it all into a book.  I love reading and looking at all of the sweet notes and pictures.

5 comments:

Maria Babin said...

great idea!!!!!!!!! i have a pile of drawings sitting on my kitchen island and in the girl's bedrooms and the boy's..... i keep asking them to please organize them into their binders (our previous system), but it's just not happening, there are just too many things, stuff! i've got the perfect little drawer too! thanks!

Annie Reed said...

Great idea, Thanks for sharing.

Heather said...

I love this idea. Thank you so much!!!

Lucky Larson's said...

We do the same thing--but my kids collect stuff so fast, when it gets full we go through it --about 3 times a year--and the stuff they want to keep goes to the baby box.

I learned that while I want to keep everything--THEY are OK only keeping a few things--helps keep the clutter down.

Alison said...

what a great idea! always looking for a safe place for those treasures.