Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Nathan and Goals

So family came into town because Nathan turned 12 and received the Aaronic Priesthood at church.  We are so proud of him and the choices he is making in his life. 

Here he is with both sets of grandparents...

Nathan Grandparents

He also completed his Faith in God.  It is a program in our church that is filled with goals to complete.  I am so grateful for programs like this and the goals that make us stretch and reach a little farther than we normally would.  I know that by completing goals when you are young, you learn the habit of setting and reaching goals. 

Stephen has always been so good about helping the kids set and work on their goals.  He does father interviews with each of the kids on the first Sunday of each month.  It might not be EVERY month, but I bet he does it at least 8 of the 12, AND has done it since our boys were little. 

He has a notebook that he dates and lists each of the kids.  The little girls draw and doodle in his notebook as he talks with them.  He dates the page and writes a few comments.  He may talk to them about keeping their room cleaner and what they can do to accomplish that.  He used to have a little outline that he would follow for the interview.  The older ones answer questions and set new goals for the month.  Steve prints up their goals for them to hang on their bulletin boards. 

I think that it is important on some goals to share them with others so that they can encourage and help you achieve them.  I hear Steve reminding Rebecca to practice her splits before she goes to bed, or he is reminding someone to read their scriptures so they can get 30 days in a row.  I'm grateful for him instilling the importance of goals into our kids.  I keep telling him that he needs to do an interview with me and help me with some of my goals. :)

ANYWAY, we are proud of you Nathan for getting your Faith in God!

Faith in God

4 comments:

The Doyles said...

I love your blog. I am always inspired and uplifted after I read your entries. You make me want to be a better mother and wife. I found you a while ago at Sugardoodle and love your ideas.

Teachinfourth said...

Awesomeness to you, Nathan...and to the parents who helped to make you that way.

Anonymous said...

Shauna, that is the best birthday cake you have ever made for your kids.

Unknown said...

Oh Kim, I KNOW how much you enjoy seeing each and every cake that is made over here. That's half the fun of coming to our parties. :)