Friday, October 22, 2010

Nobody Passed It To ME

I have such a hard time with this mentality-

We were asking Jacob about his try-outs for basketball and he commented that no one would pass the ball to him, thus the coaches couldn't really see him in action.  I was like, "Seriously?!?!"

You don't have to HAVE the ball to play hard.  Are you boxing out so that you can get the rebound?  Are you pounding the boards TO get the rebound?  Is your defense so tough that your person CAN'T get the ball?  Are you setting picks to help teammates get open?  Are you anticipating and getting steals?  I mean seriously there are soooo many aspects to the game that you can control and concentrate on.  AND when you are doing all the things that you can control, all of a sudden you ARE getting the ball.

I see this same mentality though, in others with different situations.  I will hear that a church is just too cliquey and aren't accepting of new people.  Are they going to the various group activities and making an effort in as many ways as they can?  You CAN'T complain until YOU have given it your all.  You can't wait for others.  

Yes there are definitely things in our lives that we have no control over, yet there are plenty of other areas we CAN control.

Your mind set has to be, "I'm not being passed to - SO I'm going to do EVERYTHING else that I CAN!"

5 comments:

Rachel S. Smith said...

Shauna! You are so right! Although I absolutely have no ounce of athletic bones in my body, your other correlation about how people can have that mentality is SO true! I'm so lucky you are family :)!

Teachinfourth said...

What a great way to look at the situation. We do need to give our personal best and not expect everything to fall in place around us.

Wendy Sue said...

I love this analogy...:o)

Anonymous said...

LOVE this!!!

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

I love this, you are so right! We had a great saying when I served in the YW: "You only get out what you put in!"