Friday, July 13, 2012

Livestock Auction

Have you ever been to a livestock auction?

I made my kids peek in on one Monday.  We ran out to Calahan to turn in county fair forms.  I noticed all of the trailers and people outside of their auction building.  Sure enough they have Monday auctions and in we went.

My grandfather used to take me when I was a little girl.  He would buy and sell cattle.  He would also buy me treats and so I was always willing to go keep him company.

Monday’s auction brought back so many memories.  The number stickers on the cow’s rump, touring the corrals with grandpa and making a list of those numbers he was interested in, the auctioneers voice, the cow hands prodding the livestock around in front, the smell, even just the crowd of people brought me back years ago when I was little.

A calf would usually sell around $100 when I went with my grandpa.  Monday the calves were selling for $650.  (No wonder the price of meat is so high)

As we were leaving the kids were all excited talking about it.  One of them said, “mom why did you decide to stop and let us see?”  It was mainly for ME to reminisce, but instead I said, “one of you just might marry a rancher and I thought I better prepare ya”  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, you are officially the coolest mother! I also love your reason! :) You are so very fun to follow!!

stephanie said...

I am a city girl that married a cattle rancher... It's such a great idea to expose and educate ourselves and our kids to all sorts of experiences!
Stephanie A.