Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Retirement Recital

One summer afternoon in August I took the kids to a retirement home to play a piece that they had perfected over the summer.

Retirement

There was a nice group of about twenty older people there to listen.  Ashley went up to do her piece all confident.  As she started playing a grandma got up and sat down by Ash on the piano bench.  Ashley kind of made a glance over at her with big eyes and kept playing her song.  Then the woman nestled right close to Ash swaying a little to the music.  It didn’t stop Ashley and she kept playing with this little smirk on her face.  When it was all said and done I told her how proud I was of her to keep playing her piece.  She told me, “I didn’t mind her sitting close to me, but I told myself if she tries to put her arm around me or squeeze my cheeks, I AM OUT OF HERE”.

2 comments:

Juf said...

She is just too funny!
What a great idea to do with your kids!

Rach said...

I've been stalking your blog for a few years now (you have awesome ideas!) and I just had to break my "vow of silence" to say what a sweet thing this is! You are doing an amazing job raising your kids.
I have a soft spot for the elderly, so this post made me cry.
Thanks for sharing!