Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Spiritual Food FHE

We did this one around the dinner table as we were eating dinner. 

I started out with thoughts from Dallin H Oaks talk on Spiritual nourishment…

“We know that our physical bodies require certain nutrients to sustain life and to maintain physical and mental health. If we are deprived of those nutrients, our physical and mental vitality are impaired and we have a condition called malnutrition. Malnutrition produces such symptoms as reduced mental functions, digestive disorders, loss of physical strength, and impairment of vision.”

What are some signs when we are physically hungry?  Then I continued with the talk…

“Our spirits also require nourishment. Just as there is food for the body, there is food for the spirit. The consequences of spiritual malnutrition are just as hurtful to our spiritual lives as physical malnutrition is to our physical bodies. Symptoms of spiritual malnutrition include reduced ability to digest spiritual food, reduced spiritual strength, and impairment of spiritual vision.”

What are some of the signs when you are spiritually hungry?  Then more of his talk…

“We know the principal sources of spiritual food: prayer, studying the scriptures, attending inspirational meetings, singing the hymns, serving in our callings, fasting, partaking of the sacrament, and making other covenants, such as in the temple.”

 FHE2

We then talked about what it means to feast versus snack.  We read and discussed 2 Nephi 32:2.  When we are hungry we feast.  When we are spiritually hungry and depressed, we too need to feast on spiritual nourishment and not just snack.

At Stake Women’s Conference a couple of weeks ago someone shared how her father had given all the kids a plant.  They could only water it AFTER they had read their scriptures.  No reading, no watering, and thus plant dying.  I LOVED the idea, but knew I needed a plant that needed daily watering.

I decided on cute petunias in peat pots.  Peat pots really dry out when sitting by the window, and need daily moisture. 

The kids have their flowers and challenge.  We shall see who is able to keep theirs alive, and in so doing are keeping themselves alive!

4 comments:

[Stacia] said...

I love the plant idea for my little ones and for me! :) thanks for sharing!

jaacs said...

BRILLIANT! I could use this challenge myself!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Michele Johnson said...

Awesome! I'm excited to share this with my family in an upcoming FHE.

Kids and Canning Jars said...

I love this. I think we shall duplicate you ideas. Thanks for sharing them....