Friday, May 31, 2013

Soccer Try Outs

The girls just finished soccer try outs.  It’s always scary and stressful as you see all the girls fighting for a spot, and then all of the coaches trying to figure out where to put the girls.  I do think it’s good for the girls and that they learn a lot about life in doing it.

Try Outs

Rebecca’s coach was named the second coach for this new competitive age group.  Rebecca has LOVED this coach.  In fact his past team cried their eyes out when they realized he was being moved to a different team.  Players love this coach!

During the past two weekends of tournaments he has commented on how fantastic Rebecca is, and how he wished he could make the call to have her on his team, yet he knew that someone above him was planning on having her.  However, Rebecca would always say, “I don’t care if Jeremy is the coach on the lowest team.  (there are six teams)  He is the one that I want as my coach”.

I reflected on why she liked him so much and it was obvious.  He is constantly praising and building the girls.  He would catch up to us after games and say, “Rebecca you are the best midfield striker EVER.  Your passes just keep me smiling”.  Or one game as we drove off he yelled in our open window, “Rebecca is AWESOME”.  Who wouldn’t want to hear all this!?!

I learned so much from Rebecca at try outs! 

Rebecca had told him MANY times that she wanted to be on his team.  The night of try outs her coach pulled me aside and said, “I have Rebecca and Sydney down as 1 and 2 from our team, she is on the top team’s roster.  Is this what you want or does she still want to play for me?  I will do whatever you want”  I asked others advice and then asked my Rebecca.  “Mom, I have prayed about it.  I want Jeremy and I feel really good about my answer.”  There you have it, it doesn’t matter what any other person says, she is the one playing.  We chose Jeremy.

The second night, I watched as Rebecca went out as confident as can be on the second team.  I asked her if she was sad at all when she saw the players on the top team.  One of them kept chanting, “we made the Predators” until she got in trouble for saying it.  Rebecca said, “I would just look at Jeremy and smile because I felt so good about my decision.”  What an example to me!  When I receive answers I need to look at the peace in my heart and just move forward.

I know her soccer skills would have probably progressed more on the first team.  Yet I also know at this age self esteem and confidence are fragile, and Rebecca is going to grow immensely from Jeremy’s encouraging and praising.  She can always move up!  :) 

1 comment:

katherine marie said...

you are extraordinary!!