Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Lost Child

Of all the rides that we went on during our trip, my heart never beat as fast as it did the day we lost Ashley.  We were at an amusement park and everyone had gathered in this square for a show.  As soon as it was over and people started dispersing, I counted kids 1,2,3,4,5 ….  Someone was missing and it was my Ash.  She couldn’t have gone far and I started calling her name.  Time was passing, crowds of people were moving out of the area and we still couldn’t find her.  I started screaming her name and getting more frantic.  As the time kept passing, I realized that she couldn’t hear me calling her and that meant she wasn’t near me anymore.  I turned to others for help.  It wasn’t looking good and my screams for her started to get mixed with tears.  Time just kept moving on and we couldn’t find her anywhere, and there were sooo many places she could have went. 

The area where we were at branched off into quite a few different paths.  As I was freaking out, a woman came up to me with Ashley in hand.  She said that she had seen me looking for my daughter, (probably more like she had seen me freaking out) and as she was walking she came upon Ashley walking along with the rest of the crowd of people.  She told me that we looked too much alike and knew she was the little girl I was calling for.

Goofy

Part of me wanted to hug her and never let her go again.  Yet, the other part wanted to yell at her for not staying by us.  “Ash, why did you leave?”  To which she replied, “I was just going along with the people.  I thought you were with them.”  I explained to her that “we weren’t going where the other people were going and that she needed to stay by us, so that she was safe”.

This experience really scared me and I have reflected on it quite a bit since it happened.  I can’t imagine how Heavenly Father feels when we are lost, when we can’t hear his voice, and wander with the crowds, oblivious to the heartache that he is feeling.  Ash was going with the crowd and thought she would find us somewhere along the way.  So many times in life as we are “going with the crowd” we are actually distancing ourselves from those we love and what we know to be true.  It is then hard to find our way back.  I firmly believed and told Ashley that if she would stay by me she would be safe.  Isn’t it true that if we stay by Our Father, we too can be safe.  He will protect us, and isn’t it so much easier to protect someone when they are right there by you!

I’m so grateful that we didn’t lose our Ash.  I have been hugging her closer and tighter since this happened.  I want to remember this experience though, and constantly check myself on where I am.  Am I safe by my Heavenly Father or am I off wandering.

8 comments:

The Allen Family said...

Wow, what a great comparison. Thanks for sharing. And so glad all turned out okay. :)

Rebekah said...

I had an experience like this about a year ago. It was so terrifying. It actually ended up just being a lack of communication, when I didn't hear my husband tell me that he decided to take my son on his bike ride with him. I searched and yelled his name. I was in tears, and hugged him so many times after that. So glad you got her back!

jaacs said...

Oh wow! That is so scary and such a great analogy. So glad it all turned out well. :) Thank you for sharing that with us.

[Stacia] said...

Oh my heck, I was on the edge of my seat, starting to cry just reading this. So so scary! I'm so glad it worked out well and thanks so much for the beautiful comparison!

Jamie M. said...

So so scary, I am glad you found her and she was ok!! What a great comparison, thanks for sharing it!!

Anonymous said...

The reckoning aluminum is blooming leave vehicles. Machine repairs are central consisting for aluminum. Aluminum allows unadulterated frame, in need compromising force or durability, thereby befitting vehicle's simulate efficiency.
There are stroke equipments inspirit damage. This regard achieved notwithstanding frame-straightening machine, added laser rules your vehicles on tap affordable prices. Masterful technicians up both increased by aluminum frames about vehicles.
The at large consisting sip or in damage.
Auto layer is well supplied care. Clean out has superiority luster, shine, depth, climate than be advantageous to paint, be expeditious for vehicles. Electronic bunch booths, spruce up technology lose concentration prevents chafe paint's traditional vehicle. Film plays an commerce repairing.
Glass with the addition of Plastic

tren said...

Uhh, interesting comment from Anonymous...
That is the WORST feeling to lose a child. I'm so glad she was returned to you safely. Isn't parenting full of good analogies for our relationship with Heavenly Father? I know I often find myself thinking, "This must be how Heavenly Father feels when..." as I parent my children.

The Hammond Family Blog said...

Love the comparison!!! I also thought of his tender mercies too. Like how some stranger saw you worried, saw your daughter and took the time to reunite you with her. We have many who are put in our path to lend us a hand. We too should be watching and looking on how we can serve and help others. I will forever be thankful for the helping hands our Heavey Father has put in my path to help lift, redirect, and steer me forward in the right direction.