Tuesday, June 26, 2012

So Sad….

We saw the fire up in the canyon on Saturday when we were at the zoo.  It made me sad because of the beautiful hikes and views we enjoy up there.

Today I cried.  We were out in our yard working this afternoon and I could see the fire come over that ridge and the dark smoke coming with it. 

Fire2

This picture is from our backyard.  That mountain peak is Pikes Peak.

We stood there watching in disbelief knowing that there were homes there.  There were friends there.  I just couldn’t stop the tears and the prayers.

Fires

Shortly after that last picture, the smoke engulfed us and you couldn’t really see anything.  Tonight as I looked out Jacob’s window into the black night, I could see the fires burning.  It’s HUGE!  I just couldn’t stop crying at the massive destruction.  So sad!

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

Judging from all the pictures you have taken from Pikes Peak, I can only imagine how devastating this is for you and all of your friends and neighbors. You are all in our prayers.

tren said...

Our stake includes the Mountain Shadows ward. I am so worried and sad for many of our friends and stake members. My cousin's home is across the street to the east of Garden of the Gods. I also worry about my niece who lives in Woodland Park. This is just horrible! I am fasting and praying and hoping for some rain (without a lot of wind or lightning).

Kat said...

Your state has been in my thoughts and prayers. I live in AZ and while I haven't had any fires close by to see flames we have been having a lot of smoke fill our sky from distant fires. I can't imagine what it would be like to look out my bedroom window and see what you are seeing. I hope and pray that they can get those fires under control quickly. I will include you all in my fast on Sunday. (((hugs)))

Jamie M. said...

Praying for all of you and the surrounding homes will be safe and they will be able to get it under control. We have had so many fires in Utah and one has destroyed close to 60 homes. So scary!!

Christi said...

Wow Shauna, having lived there & hiked there as well, this is so heartbreaking to see. My husband lived in the Rockrimmon area & attended Air Academy High, so this is devastating for him as well. Ironically he was helping with our stake girls camp last night and they were evacuated for the same reason. Lots of big fires here in UT also. Prayers go your way and to all our C.S. friends.

Angie White said...

I used to live there, too, so to see it engulfed in flames is heart wrenching. My mom is headed into Colorado today, and had to find an alternate route so she could finish getting to Westminster from Pueblo. Praying for Colorado to get rain (and the many other deserts with high fire risks!).

Anonymous said...

Shauna,
I've been thinking and praying for you ever since I saw this on the news. How devastating for so many.

Beth

Nicole S said...

I've been thinking of you guys... it's scary to see those pictures from your back yard. Much too close for comfort. Hope it is contained soon and that you are safe.

T.Irwin said...

I've been thinking about you all week...wondering how close you are... Now I see. It's so scary to see how close it is to your family.

Km said...

Many many Prayers and hugs!!!