Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fairy Houses

I picked up $1 wooden birdhouses from Michaels for the girls to create fairy houses.  I wasn’t prepared for how many HOURS the girls would spend making, creating and playing with them. 

We first painted them and then accessorized with legos, thimbles, glitter, seashells ….  A favorite is Kaylee’s tea party table that she made out of a spool of gold thread and a mirror compact….

Fairy House

Rebecca has a little checkered picnic cloth with a Polly Pocket spread of food by hers.  The garden is filled with fun shady spots.  Jerrica’s house is in the dill forest.  The ferny little dill plants add such a cute backdrop to hers.  I just hope my garden survives all of this fairy play.

  Fairy House3

Each of the girls’ houses is so unique.  We have sidewalks that are made out of half of a ruler, buttons, marbles and coins.  Ash is quite proud of her feather chimney and jingle bell doorbell.

Fairy House2

My marigolds that I have mixed in with my tomato plants are actually “giant yellow TREES” for the fairies.  Pretend play is so much fun.  I think the reason it was such a hit is because they made their houses, the setting is in the garden, AND just because it’s fairies.  I am amazed at how much time they have spent on this!  A few minutes of helping them has given ME hours of my own free time.  :)

I found the idea for fairy houses at Lil Boo Blue.  You can see her post HERE.

1 comment:

Angela said...

SO much fun! My girls would love to do this, they are 2 and 4. I can especially see my 4 year old spending a lot of time making a fairy house :)