Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My Dad

A week ago my mom called me in the evening telling me that my dad was having heartburn and to talk with him to see if I could help him.  After hearing his symptoms, I knew it wasn’t heartburn.  He was having a heart attack.  Thank goodness mom got him to the hospital!  We are from a small town and after they checked him out, they flew him up to Pueblo.

SO last week was spent running back and forth to Pueblo.  Dad’s right coronary artery was 95 percent blocked and another one was 90 percent blocked as well.  They did a cardiac cath and put a stent in.

My dad and mom are from big families so there were plenty of texts, calls, and emails going on. 

Dad

My dad is so sweet.  He was trying to make light of the situation with his jokes to the nurses.  When they would bring in the education videos on the heart, he would ask for the “western version”.  He has always loved a good western movie.  John Wayne is his favorite.  All of the kids made cards, and Jacob drew a John Wayne on his.  Inside he said, “You are just as tough as the Duke himself”

  Dad3

Jerrica’s card was cute too with a tractor on the front and a promise inside to teach him to how to play “Hay Day” on his tablet.

Keith and my mom arrived at the hospital shortly after me.  Keith stayed there the entire time to help my parents.  I am so grateful he was able to drop everything and stay there for them.  He is so funny, and made it fun when we would go down to be with dad.  He sure doesn’t let anyone beat him at checkers!

Dad2

My phone almost blew up from texting and communicating with everyone, but it made me realize how much my dad is loved.  So many people were praying for him.  So grateful for family and friends that draw together during hard times for comfort and support.  Love all of my family and extended family!

Dad is doing great now.  He is home and was even riding his bike today!

2 comments:

Juf said...

What a blessing you were able to recognize the symptoms and get him help! Hope his health keeps improving!

T.Irwin said...

I'm glad your dad is doing okay. A coworker of mine went through this a few years ago and thought it was heartburn as well. But she had other symptoms and we all insisted she leave work and go to the ER. Because we work at the hospital, we are all hesitant to be a burden on the system, but there's a reason it's there, and it's for emergencies. Nobody ever wants to think it's them this time, but once in while, we are the emergency.
I'm super glad you were able to recognize the symptoms and, more than that, I'm glad your dad made it in time.
He's clearly a good man and deeply loved.