Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Grateful in Any Circumstances

For FHE I shared President Dieter Uchtdorf’s talk Grateful in Any Circumstances.  At times it is hard to find things to be grateful for in the midst of trials.  We wonder if there really is anything positive to be grateful for!  I loved his quote,

“I have learned that there is something that would take away the bitterness that may come into our lives. There is one thing we can do to make life sweeter, more joyful, even glorious.

We can be grateful!

It might sound contrary to the wisdom of the world to suggest that one who is burdened with sorrow should give thanks to God. But those who set aside the bottle of bitterness and lift instead the goblet of gratitude can find a purifying drink of healing, peace, and understanding.”

“Could I suggest that we see gratitude as a disposition, a way of life that stands independent of our current situation? In other words, I’m suggesting that instead of being thankful for things, we focus on being thankful in our circumstances—whatever they may be.”

I then divided up the scripture references for the kids to share and read of the people in the scriptures that were able to express their gratitude even though they were struggling.  We also talked about the bed bugs in the book “the Hiding Place” and how they were grateful for them since the soldiers refused to enter their barracks because of the bed bugs.  There is always something to be grateful for!

I made a little hand out from his talk for the kids to put on their bulletin boards in their rooms.

Rain1

We finished off with Ashley’s scripture - “who [receive] all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto [them], even an hundred fold, yea, more.” DyC 78:19

The lesson (as always) was more for my benefit.  Sometimes I mope around in my hard times not seeing all of the good around me.  I need to see and be thankful for the “Rain”!

No comments: