Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Talks

Last week we had a blizzard blow through the Springs.  Part of our church was canceled because of it.  So instead of three hours, we just had the first hour.  I told the kids that I wanted each of them to prepare a 2 minute talk to share with the family that evening.

Ashley was WAY into this.  She begged that we could do this for church EVERY week.  When it came time to share our talks, we went youngest to oldest.  I smiled as Jerrica forgot most of the parts to her story.  Ashley pretty much performed her talk.  Rebecca then shared a story from the Friend magazine in a very organized, Rebecca manner.  Then Kaylee got up for her talk.  Tears came to me as I remembered the experience she shared with the family. 

She told of a time when her and I were coming home from a soccer game, and as we got into the Springs a blizzard was making the road conditions horrible.  We were worried that we wouldn’t make it home because of the icy roads.  She then talked about the prayer she offered on our behalf for our safety as we drove.  She went on explaining to the kids that when we did arrive home and pulled into the garage, how I stopped her from jumping out and asked if she would once again pray with me.  I had wanted to express gratitude for making it home safe and also pray for those still out on those treacherous roads.  She concluded with how special that second prayer was to her and how she learned that we need to be sure and thank our Heavenly Father.

I remembered the incident and the two prayers.  I remembered thinking to myself that I needed to express gratitude in my prayer that night, but then on second thought decided to do it right then with Kaylee.  It was that second thought that proved to be a teaching moment.  How many times do I miss those second thoughts that really stand out to my kids?  A lot I’m sure!  I am so grateful for those that I don’t miss and the impact they make on my kids.

No comments: