Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Parent Teacher Conference

Am I going to survive Ashley?  Seriously, am I?!?

Last week I went to parent teacher conferences for the girls.  The first two were for the big girls.

Grades

“Rebecca is by far the top writer in our class.  Her writing skills are very advanced….”  “Kaylee is an incredible test taker.  She must love the challenge of a test, because she seems to always ace them…”

Then I see Kaylee’s drawing of Gabby Douglas that is hung on the wall, and I’m thinking these girls have got it going on!  :)

SAMSUNG

Then I go to Ashley’s teacher, and the mood changes.  A behavior report comes out.  The teacher wants to discuss AGAIN what the principal had called me about the day before…. :/ 

According to Ashley, she was standing in line minding “her own big fat business” and the boy in front of her turned around and spit in her face.  She then proceeded to punch him in the stomach for doing it.  When asked why, she said “because spitting is disgusting and now I have boy germs all over me”.  The principal then asked why she didn’t use her words and tell a teacher.  She then informed him that “Sometimes when you only use words, the person forgets what you are telling them but when you use a punch they are not going to forget to not spit on you.”

Oh that girl!  The principal gets such a kick out of her and just loves her.  (Probably the valentine she gave him a couple of months ago)  Both the vice principal AND principal talked to her together.  I guess she wasn’t a bit shy or scared and fully thought she was in the right for punching the boy.  She has such a strong personality.

I hope I stay sane with this girl of mine.  :/

7 comments:

Kate said...

She doesnt take nonsense from anyone - good for her!

Juf said...

Oh, hilarious! I'm a first grade teacher, and while both Ashley and the spitter would have been in trouble with me with their behavior, I think I'd have been doubled over laughing on the inside!

Libby said...

Unlike Mr. Grant (Mary Tyler Moore Show), I love spunk and Ashley has spunk!
She'll grow up and you won't have to worry about her when she travels! (well, maybe a bit-she'll have to curb assaulting people). [I have a daughter like that & she's 23 and did just fine in Australia without me]

cc said...

The world needs more strong woman! Way to go Ashley:-) You are an amazing mom!! I have no worries about that daughter of yours!

[Stacia] said...

Such a hard spot to be in as a parent! On one hand, of course we don't want our children resorting to violence but on the other hand girls need to feel like they can defend themselves and we don't want to discourage it too heavily. I'm sure you're doing a fabulous job though!!!

Mike and Shawna's Blog said...

I found your blog through Pinterest and I love it! I decided to comment because my oldest is in kindergarten and I've already had two PT conferences like that :( hopefully things will look up. The librarian happened to recommend Clementine by Sara Pennypacker to us and my daughter and I have loved it. Clementine has some great misadventures that keep you laughing out loud but she learns some good lessons along the way too. Parents and teachers aren't the enemy either which is important to me. I thought I would pass that along, its fun to read aloud.

Just Another Mummy Blog said...

What a difficult position to be in! I have a 2 year old girl who has every bit of spunk that her mother has. (yeah, I'll take the blame/credit for that one.) For example, ather play group a little boy took her toy. She used her words and yelled, "My toy! Give it back!" Well the boy didn't want to give it back, so my daughter ran up to him and yelled, "You not sharing! You bad boy!" and pushed him and grabbed her toy and ran away.

Now, I do not want my daughter to be getting physical and hitting other kids, so I was happy about that. But I have to admit, there was a part of me that was proud. She used her words first, tried to reason with him, and when that didn't work she stood up for herself. Albeit, with a push, but I'm still proud of my strong independent girl!

A boy spitting in her face? Gross!! I probably would wanted to punch him too!