Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Joy in the Journey

We went to the mountains over Labor Day weekend.  We also went on a very long hike, 4 1/2 hours to be exact.  I love hikes because you get to talk with each other.  There are no i-pods, computer games, or movies, just family to entertain.  I’m still smiling at some of the stories and jokes that were told on our hike.

As we started out one of my kids asked why we couldn’t just drive to the top.  Why did we have to walk?  That’s when I launched into my “Joy in the Journey” speech.  I told them how many little things we would miss if we bypassed the actual hike.  I also explained that to some of the family members parts of the hike would bring more joy to them than the actual summit of the hike.  I was thinking of myself and how much I would enjoy talking and laughing in the shade of the trees as we hiked, rather than the hot, treeless reservoir at the top where everyone would be exhausted. 

I encouraged them to find bits of joy on our way.  It made me smile at what one thought was awesome another wouldn’t even give a second glance.

We found some of the biggest trees to hug…

Mountains

Bright colored rust moss that matched our hair…

 Mountains2 Mountains3

Trees to rest our backs on and leaves that prove Fall is coming….

 Mountains4 Mountains5

Hidden waterfalls with that soothing sound of rushing water…

Mountains6

Moss that would be perfect for a fairy garden front lawn….

 Mountains7 Mountains8

Twisted trees that provided a perfect perch for a fast hiker that had to wait for others….

 Mountains9

Berries that would make the cutest pretend tomatoes for the fairies AND a moss stick for a fairy tree (the girls are a STILL into their fairy gardens)

  Mountains11 Mountains12 When we finally arrived at the top, it was hot and basically just a huge reservoir of water.  The journey was beautiful though.  The kids made it beautiful by finding joy in it and in each other.  Oh how I enjoyed the conversations and how I loved seeing them help each other.

As we finished our hike, I asked each one what their favorite part was.  Almost everyone said something that had to do with the journey aspect and not the destination.  I then started my speech to them about how life is the same.  Don’t just be so focused on the destination that you aren’t finding the little joys along the way.  For there IS joy in the journey!

1 comment:

T.Irwin said...

nice, nice, nice! I am taking my niece and nephews hiking this weekend for the leaves. :) AND, your photos have inspired me to make sure it happens. :)