Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The 24th Celebration

I’m from a very small Mormon town that REALLY celebrates the 24th of July.  We honor and remember the pioneers.  They sacrificed so much to make the trek to Salt Lake.  For the celebration Sanford starts out with a pageant the night before, then a breakfast early the next morning, followed by a parade.

Races16 

July 2009 887

Next there is a program with a BBQ afterward.  Then comes the kids pioneer games and the races.  They race all the kids and adults in each age group.  The winner gets to choose a 2 liter of pop and the others get a sucker.  They also have 3-legged races, egg toss, pie eating contests, tug of war, and a greased pig.  You catch the pig, you get the pig!

Races2

Races

Races3

Kaylee is on the far right.  She shed a few tears when she got a sucker.

Races4

Races5

Races9

Races10

Races7

Races8

Races11

Races12

Races14

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Even though everyone is exhausted there still is a family dance that night.  I think the dances are so good for the kids to learn how to dance and see what a dance is like.

The next day is Manassa’s celebration just 7miles down the road.  They have a parade, carnival, rodeo, demolition derby, and motorcross races.  I was a party pooper this year for Manassa’s and went home.  Why?  Because I missed my Jacob!  He was at scout camp all week and was coming home.  I had to be home for him!

So, who’s coming with me next year?

3 comments:

tren said...

We'll come with you next year! That looks like so much fun, and we do diddly-squat for the 24th around here.

Jordan Family said...

why don't you live there again? it sounds like a little heaven on earth out there! all the stories i have ever heard and every photo i have ever seen make me almost want to pack up and make that drive again :)

Ryan M. Spillane said...

I love all the pictures!! What fun memories for the kiddos! I wish we could have been there! Why didn't you and Alesha do the the 3 legged race?