Tuesday, October 22, 2013

More than Expected

I recently was volunteering at the elementary school.  I sat in the back doing my task at hand and the teacher started asking various kids “are you doing more than what is expected of you?”   I peered up and noticed these students then start to clean up their area, or add more detail into their project that they were working on.

The phrase “are you doing more than what is expected” stuck with me for the rest of the day.  It’s usually easy to complete what is expected of you, but giving MORE is a bit harder.  It involves more time and commitment.

I went home and started laundry and my endless cleaning.  As I completed each chore I would think to myself of that phrase, “am I doing more than what’s expected”.  I was amazed at how adding just a bit more really made a difference.  Instead of just dinner, I had made a dessert.  Instead of making a bed, a kind note was left on a pillow. 

I did just a little more than what was expected of me and the day was A LOT more than what I had expected it to be!

I know that this can be applied in so many different aspects of life.  In my work outs, can I do just a little more?  My body sure would benefit if I did.  Spiritually if I gave just a little bit more than expected, I once again would benefit.  It’s not just me that benefits, it’s also all of those around me.

Grateful for that teacher’s little reminder and push!

Are you doing more than what is expected of you?  I challenge you to do more and see what happens!

5 comments:

Juf said...

THis is great! I'm going to have to remember this for my own first/second grade class!

Janessa said...

What a great phrase! I'm going to take your challenge. Thanks:)

Susannah said...

Hi Shauna. I am a lurker :) and often inspired by your blog. I was talking to my kids about this post today and we ended up giving each other so much kindness, trying to outdo each other with doing more than what was expected of us. thank you.

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

Love this! This is one thing that I really hope I can instill in my kids. Thank you for the reminder.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reminder...I need to get back to reading (your) blog so I keep getting reminders :)