Monday, June 17, 2013

Blackforest Fire

I don’t know where to even start this post.  Do I start with the woman that spent the night in the Wal Mart parking lot with six chickens in her car?  Or the young man that passed the sacrament today in a white shirt, tie and gym shorts because he had no other clothes?  Or do I start with how awesome Jimmy Johns is for giving the firefighters 400 sandwiches and then a couple days later giving out 100’s more to evacuees waiting in traffic to return to their homes?  Maybe I should start at the part that makes me cry every time, about all of our many sweet friends that have lost their homes, land, and possessions?  I guess I better start the Tuesday before last.

The Bishop had all of the youth in our church do fire mitigation around our building.  Our church house is in the middle of the forest surrounded by pine.  The youth and leaders worked for two hours raking up needles, hauling out dead wood, and just cleaning up the area.  He was inspired because the next Tuesday when the fire hit, our church building was left unharmed.  Hundreds of homes all around the building were burned to the ground.  That little X is where the church is and every red circle is a house lost.  502 homes were lost.  :(

Fired1

So clean up was on Tuesday, and the next Tuesday the fire broke out in the forest.  I started getting texts and calls from people worried about us.  I kept assuring everyone that we were just fine.  The fire was over by the park.  I was a total idiot and look back wondering what on earth was I thinking!  The fire looked like this from my backyard as we were leaving … without my girls!  Yeah, I decided that Stephen and I would BOTH go pick up Nathan from soccer practice clear across town, so that we could see what was going on with the fire, AND LEAVE THE GIRLS in the fire’s path as they watched their movie.  I’m an idiot!

Fire0 SAMSUNG

By this point everyone is calling.  We finally pick up Nathan.  My heart is pounding.  They close off the intersection of Woodman and Blackforest, which is the main road to get into our area.  No one can get in, and it’s two lanes of traffic evacuating out.  Trucks piled high, RV’s. boats, campers, worried looks.  I’m like FREAKING out that I can’t get in, to get my girls!  Stephen then rerouted us through little side roads and over to our neighborhood.  I was SO happy to get in, as others were so happy to have gotten out.

When we got home three different neighbors were all at our house trying to figure out what to do.  Our electricity had went out and thus our water was gone as well.  We saw the huge plumes of smoke way up overhead and worried about the wind changing direction and dropping embers on our roofs.  Our little Korean neighbor said, “I go when you go, so tell me when to go”.  I’m thinking don’t trust me,  I just left the girls here by themselves!

Fire4

It’s scary when you don’t have power.  We couldn’t watch the news, we didn’t have wifi for computers, and our phones were going dead because of all the calling, texting and using the internet.  I always watch on TV during natural disasters and think, GET OUT, why are they just sitting there?!?  However, I believe that some people have no clue what is going on around them because power is usually lost in situations like this.  You can’t even see what to grab to take with you.

I found it interesting as the kids were grabbing special stuff to them how different they were.  Ash grabs her big puppet show theater, Kaylee is taking everything off of her walls, as Jacob is trying to find his new Patriarcle Blessing paper.

So many friends were SO good to us!  AND that is what I love in times like this, people stepping up serving and helping others.  Meals, shoulders to cry on, clothes (the North Stake building was FILLED with clothes for anyone that had been evacuated and needed them), helping with pets, even down to all that is given to firefighters and Care and Share.  People are giving and ready to serve! 

Fire

Today I sat in church with 82 families that are STILL evacuated from their homes, some of them having lost their homes.  General authorities were sent from Salt Lake.  They spoke of peace and blessings found in trials.  BUT it was a sister in the ward that touched me.  She talked about losing a child a few years ago.  She said, “when I finally stopped asking why me, and started living, that is when I started growing and progressing.  That is when I started seeing so many blessings in my life”.  The hymns spoke to me as well, especially “Come Follow Me”.  The spirit was strong and my eyes were overflowing.

There is so much love and service all around.  There is so much to be done.  We just need to remember to always be like this with each other.  It shouldn’t have take a fire!

12 comments:

Jaydee and Shaunda said...

I am so glad you are okay. You don't know me, but I follow your blog. I was thinking of you and your family all week and got worried when I didn't see any postings. I didn't know where you lived, but knew it was in the Springs and out of town a little because of other pictures you posted. My parents live in your stake, and actually my mom just saw your picture on the blog and said that you used to be in her ward (11th ward) years ago. I am here in the Springs visiting them right now with my six kids. So thankful that you are okay, but still praying for peace and comfort for all those other families. Bishop Schooff's father was my stake president in Nebraska years ago. So glad that the church building is okay.

Anonymous said...

I was happy to see your Father's Day post yesterday, to know that you were safe. You have been in our thoughts and prayers.

lrbodine said...

We are in the same stake - although we don't know each other. I am grateful your family is okay! We live in the south part of the stake so the Waldo Canyon fire was closer to our home last year but so awful to watch this one since I knew it impacted many people in our Stake and friends of my kids from school up that direction. It's always humbling to watch the community support each other abs become closer and I hope those feeling stay around since its going to be a long recovery process.

Kathy said...

I love your blog though I rarely comment, so glad you and your family are all OK! So is your home OK? You didn't mention it ... praying that it is and praying for all of those affected by this!

9peasMom said...

So very happy to hear you are all okay! We are praying for all those affected!

Mom said...

I loved your blog about the fire..., so informative, touching and inspiring. How we love you all

Anonymous said...

Oh Shauna, so glad you and your cute family are safe. What a tragedy!

Marie

Nicole S said...

I've been thinking of you... glad to get an update. What a great story of following inspiration on behalf of your bishop. So sorry for all the tragedy around you, but glad you were able to make it home safely to your girls. What a terrible, helpless feeling!

jaacs said...

Oh, how scary that must be for everyone down there. I am glad you guys are all safe.

gpa&gma said...

Love your blog. We were threaten by a fire a few years back. It is the worst feeling, No control...Glad you are safe.

angela said...

Love your blog. Was thinking of you and your family when I heard about the fires. Glad you all are safe and prayers to those of your friends and neighbors who were not.

Juf said...

Wow. Just, wow.