Sunday, December 13, 2009

Viking Fur

Kaylee had a Viking day at school.  I looked at the note sent home about the costumes and headed to Joanns for some fur to do a cloak.  However, after looking at prices I knew that was NOT going to happen.  SOOO I went down to our thrift store which usually comes through for me on these dress up days at school.  I found a soft leather jacket with a wooly inside for $6.  I further noticed that everything was on sale 50% off including this jacket so it was only $3!!!!  I came home and cut and sewed and created a little Viking girl outfit.  What I love about this kind of sewing is that it doesn’t have to be perfect!  It’s just a costume.
Viking3
I cut the sleeves off to become leg warmer pants and then recut the rest of the jacket to be like a cloak.  It really was hardly any sewing.  I didn’t even do a button hole for the button.  I just cut a slit in the soft leather and figured that it would hold just fine.  Oh if all projects could be that easy!
Viking
She was so excited about her costume that it made me excited. 
I had to laugh when she came home from school, she told us that they ate fish and egg pudding at one of their stations.  She said, “I feel so sorry that they didn’t have grocery stores and had to eat that kind of food!”  The Vikings I’m sure were VERY grateful for ANY food!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Shauna, I am first so proud of you for checking at the ARC to find a bargain, & also proud of your sewing project. You remind me of me!

Ryan M. Spillane said...

Shauna, You are so talented!!!