Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Family Growth Charts

So for Christmas I give out the “friend” gifts, which were totally lame this year, and then “family” gifts to families that we are closer to.  I have a friend who has the Pottery Barn version of this and I have always eyed it hanging in her house.  I love how tall hers is so that as kids keep growing you can keep marking.  You can even mark the parents height.
Then I saw a couple verions here and there on the internet and decided to do it for a gift.  The boards I used were a little over 7 feet by 8 inches wide.
Growth Chart
I love marking how tall the kids are, but then the door gets painted over or you move on to the next house.  I think these boards are fun because you can take them wherever you move, heck you can even keep it until you have grandkids to mark on it.  I even think that it would be a fun tradition to mark the kids’ on their birthdays.
Looking back on past Christmases it seems like the family gifts I make are always something that I want to make for my own family and then just mass produce for a few more families.

4 comments:

Six-Pack Momma said...

Those are darling! I have never done the growth chart for the reasons you mentioned. I knew it would be too hard to ever paint over or leave in a house, so I never bothered (I know, doesn't make sense...) I am so going to make one and get rid of my guilt (now that some of my kids are almost full-grown!)

Thanks for the idea!

Miriam said...

I really love this idea! Can you tell a little more about how you did it? Is the lettering vinyl?

Unknown said...

The boards are 8' by 8 inches from Lowes. I cut a foot off because no one is that tall. Then painted them with an off white. I played with fonts and placement for a while. A friend then cut the vinyl for me. And last but not least I laid out the tape measure and put the numbers on the corresponding feet. It's EASY!!!

Ryan M. Spillane said...

Shauna, They turned out really cute! You did a great job!