Sunday, December 27, 2009

Car Trip

Car Trip3

We took a little road trip for Christmas.  Little as in 18 HOURS!!!!  (AND we STILL have to drive BACK 18 HOURS!!!)

To make the trip happy and go fast I packed plenty of snacks and then tried to have plenty of games and projects.  We took Scattegories, Catch Phrase, also the cards from Disney Scene It to ask trivia.  Another hit game for Jerrica was her Fish Game

Car Trip6

We had glow in the dark bracelets for the night.  For projects we did beads,  the Crayola scatch off art, Window markers, Color Wonder coloring books….

Car Trip5

We also had movies.  Some of them we rented from Red Box and then would turn them in at different cities to get other movies.  And of course the kids had plenty of books to read along the way, just like their dad.

Car Trip4

I studied my photography books and practiced in the mirror as you can tell from the top photo.

My favorite trip idea that I have done for a few years is the velcro map on our van ceiling.  I LOVE it because the kids can see how far we have come and how far we have to go.  They can also see what is in the cities that we pass.  For example I had a cowboy for Cheyenne and Rebecca asked if there were “real” cowboys in Cheyenne.  Then that starts up conversation about where we are.  I just think it’s fun because the kids aren’t asking a billion times if we are there yet because they can see…

Car Trip2

Car Trip

We’ve had fun.  I feel like I have sooo much to post that I needed to sneak this post in tonight!

3 comments:

T.Irwin said...

sounds like you guys were very prepared for the long drive...hopefully it minimizes the "are we there yet?" and "when will we be there?" questions.

Ryan M. Spillane said...

FINALLY, I miss you posting on here! When do you get home??

Summer Spillane Jordan said...

i love that idea! i remember seeing it in kristy's van once! such a clever way to help the kiddos keep tabs on the trip! unfortunately, for my kiddos, road trips are not happening anytime soon!