Thursday, December 3, 2009

12 Days of Christmas

I know, I know, I know that you don’t start the 12 days until the 13th of December, BUT due to circumstances we can’t do that, and so we started on December 1st.  This is by far one of our favorite traditions.  We have been doing it for a few years now.  We pick someone and then give them our silly notes and gifts.  The gifts are practical - because remember - Stephen is my husband.  The kids LOVE to knock and run or find creative ways of giving the goods.

One year we did it to my sister Tanya.  She was working at a vet clinic and sometimes we would have random people going into the clinic give Tanya the gifts.  We were SOOO tricky that she never caught us and didn’t know it was us until the last day!  Last year we did it to a fun family that has kids the same ages as our kids.

At any rate, it is totally fun and a rush in trying to not get caught.  This year has been a little more trickier.  Tonight I had to do it since I was out and about.  I quite like having the kids do it so that I’m not the one slipping and sliding in snow and getting scared.  I had to deliver this …

12 Days

Three LARGE cans of chicken noodle soup, compliments of the three French hens.  AND let me report that I DID IT!  I didn’t get caught and even saw the mom pick them up with a grin on her face.  I think I was grinning bigger, because I was so sneaky!!!!

Last night was a box of Turtles and a box of Dove chocolates.  Stephen and the boys were in charge of that drop off, I’m still wondering if it really made it to their house?!?!

9 comments:

Lillian J. Banks said...

You are so adorable- keep up the great blog- and I still wish I could take pictures like you do!

T.Irwin said...

I love doing the 12 days of Christmas for my neighbors (especially my hermit neighbors). I also do it for my work buddies.

I've done it for about 9 years and I always have so much fun. I write a new poem each year, so it's kind of fun.

I haven't even thought about it this year (sad), and now I have...so I'll work on my poem.

Thanks for the reminder. :D

Teresa said...

I do my own version of the 12 days of Christmas for Tracen. He looks forward to it every year....as do I:)

The Dixons said...

We do the twelve days of Christmas too!! We give salt dough ornaments as one of the fun things to do. The kids get to cut them out with Christmas cookie cutters and then we paint them. We try to pick families with kids. Last year we got 3 baskets from Michaels after Christmas so they were a dollar each. We had the families leave the baskets out their front door each night so we could leave the treats. My kids love it!! We start early too so they are done before break starts.

The Dixons said...

We also did it for one of my childrens school teachers. She had fun giving the gifts to the teacher anonymously. We got the idea from howdoesshe.com

the sleepy time gal said...

what a great little idea. thanks!

Southern Fried Gal said...

This is a precious idea! Thanks for the inspiration!

Fly said...

This was fun to read. Could you share what you did for each day? I'm not very creative, and I loved the ideas for days 2 and 3.

Anonymous said...

I did this many years ago for a friend. her sister had passed away and she had inherited the sisters 4 children plus her own 3. She also had recently broken her leg so was not working and her husband lost his job and the same time her refrigerator went out! Really! really! unlucky year. Since her husband was home I was able to enlist his help so the packages were able to be delivered at different times of the day and when she was farthest from the door usually on a different level of the house. We talked so that if I was delivering he could make sure the whole family was in the basement or upstairs getting ready for bed.And of course he never saw me! She later said considering everything that had gone wrong it was one of the best Christmases she had ever had.