Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Things that Matter Most

Yesterday was CRAZY!  I had a panic attack as I looked at my calendar that was filled.  Stephen was in charge of the joint activity for the youth in our church.  They were grilling pizza, which meant dough needed to be bought at Dion’s, and other things needed rounded up for that.  All of the kids had practices and activities.  How was I going to get all of them everywhere they needed to be?

Nathan had a game in Woodland Park.  As I talked with him after school he asked me if I was coming.  I told him that I didn’t think I could make this one and double checked that the bus would be both ways and I didn’t need to find a ride home for him. 

As I left the school I thought to myself that I really should go to his game.  I hadn’t spent time with him lately.  SO massive texting and calling ensued so that all the stars would align and my kids could get where they needed to be.  Stephen assured me that he already had everything under control for his activity and I should go watch Nathan.

I drove up that beautiful drive to Woodland Park in calm, serenity thinking this is why I was supposed to go. 

Then I sat at that gorgeous field with a spectacular orange and pink sunset thinking this is why I needed to drive up to enjoy that.  Here is a pic from my phone before the sunset of the beautiful mountains and forests that surround the field.  It truly was a beautiful setting!

Nathan's Game

I sat there chatting away with a sweet friend.  During our conversation, I thought of the words of wisdom she was sharing and KNEW this is why I was supposed to come up to Nathan’s game.

But then it happened.  Nathan did a couple of his tricky moves past two defenders and powered a goal in the upper 90.  There was no way the goalie could stop it.  Chis ran and picked up Nathan off the ground all silly like.  The boys gathered round him congratulating him.  Then I saw his smile and his glance up to me in the stands.  Priceless!  (I’m crying as I type this)  HE was the reason I was supposed to be there.  HE needed to know that I saw that.  HE needed to see me cheering him. 

Sometimes we are supposed to be somewhere not for our benefit, but for that of another.  Yet in so doing we actually benefit ourselves.  SO grateful that I went last night!

4 comments:

charla coley said...

Shauna, that made me get a tear.

charity said...

Hey shauna, I just spent an hour catching up ....love all the great pics of your crew and Kristy's, so glad you got to do so much...I lost the summer to illness and missed getting together with them more..yours are so grown up...do you have Nathan for another year at least? Sage leaves in Jan to byui...chey comes back from her mission in mar...someone has hit fast forward on our lives! Love you all...charity

Ryan M. Spillane said...

I LOVED this post!! I got all emotional reading it. You are such a good mom! You are so good at listening to the spirit and receiving revelation for you and your family. Super proud of Nathan!!

Ryan M. Spillane said...

I LOVED this post!! I got all emotional reading it. You are such a good mom! You are so good at listening to the spirit and receiving revelation for you and your family. Super proud of Nathan!!
love,
Kris