Monday, January 23, 2017

Great Thompson Bake Off

Last Monday we all had off and so plans were made. Stephen and Nathan headed to the slopes to do a little snowboarding together. The girls and I opted to stay warm for the day, however we did need a little treat as well, SO a bake off evolved. Friends were called and ingredients were bought.

Bake

We started by watching the Studio C version of the show and all of us pretty much grossed out at her eating the egg shell and all. Then all seriousness began. I literally laughed as I watched the girls take this competition as a very no non-sense bake off.

Bake3

All teams had to provide the judges with three cupcakes and then bake the rest of the cake batter however they chose to. Everyone could chose a cake mix and a frosting (or they could make their own frosting). I then had all of the extras in the above picture out for their secret ingredients. They could each choose two of those.

The creativity was in full swing. Rebecca had the Andes mints and mixed them in her cake mix and then topped her homemade butter cream frosting with more mints. Ashley took a store bought frosting but chopped in the food processor blackberries and added them to the frosting. The frosting was such a beautiful purple color! Blackberries aren’t that sweet, so mixed with the overly sweet store frosting it was delicious! I think they mixed coconut in their cake mix for their other ingredient, or maybe it was oreos. I can’t remember.

Bake6Bake7Bake4

Kaylee’s team made a delicious cream cheese frosting from scratch and then a strawberry glaze to go over the cream cheese frosting. Perfect combination of flavors!

Bake5

Jerrica’s team was a chocolate chip and nut secret ingredient, so she had them mixed in her cake as well as topping her cupcakes. Out of everyone, Jerrica was by far the most complementary of the bakers. She was so quick with a sweet bit of praise for everyone’s creations.

These are the masterpieces that the judges had to judge. I gave each judge a sheet where they had to rate the presentation, taste, and creativity from 1 to 5. I then tallied up the scores to come up with the winner. We only had one winner and no second, third or fourth. I was grateful that I didn’t have to judge, instead we had friend parents, Stephen and Nathan.

Bake8

The winners of our Thompson Bake Off were……

Bake2

It was such a fun day of baking and learning. I’m proud that my big girls can make frostings from scratch without a recipe. I’m proud of the creativity and the sweet complements. I’m NOT proud of the few pounds I put on in this bake off challenge.

No comments: