Sunday, January 8, 2017

Goals FHE

I love a good FHE to kick off the New Year. I think that a FHE filled with stories and object lessons about goals help get everyone going. Now let me clarify that this is MY thinking and obviously not my family’s. This year as I taught the kids I felt like everything was backfiring. I asked the kids what the point of a soccer game would be, if there where no goals. Nathan immediately said that it would then be a fun possession game of soccer. I tried telling them that you couldn’t have a game without the goals and they kept fighting me that possession games were just as fun. (I don’t like soccer. I should have used a basketball analogy)

I then had Nathan keep his eyes on a $20 bill as he walked to get my scriptures from the kitchen counter. I was trying to show how hard it was to get something if your eyes weren’t focused on the object. Of course Nathan took it as a challenge and made it look WAY too easy looking at the $20 and quickly grabbing my scriptures. There went my “keeping your eyes on your goal”!

I couldn’t take it anymore!

Goal Night2

I had planned on a little activity with everyone and quickly dispensed with the lesson and moved on with the next part. Why can’t the kids ever cooperate and make the lesson that I plan work out like I intend! Anyway, I copied some invites online that were for personal progress and made them work for our FHE by changing text.

The kids put on their PJ’s and we all piled in the van. I realized that everyone was hungry and that’s what we needed was food. Everything is always better once stomachs are full.

However, once again my plans were all sabotaged when we got to IHOP because all goal talk went out the window and cards came out, with games ensuing.

20170102_20070520170102_201641

Still “trying” to pursue my lesson from Monday, I sent out group texts to my fam with meme’s and quotes throughout the week about goals, to which I didn’t get a single response, comment, text, feedback, NOTHING!!!!

I think I give up! If they don’t achieve goals in 2017, they can’t say I didn’t try!!!! Tomorrow I’m putting Stephen in charge. We shall see if they will listen to their dad.

1 comment:

holly said...

I feel that way all the time!! That's why I come to your blog for inspiration:) We moms just do our best to teach and the rest is up to them. Glad to see you posting again!