Friday, July 29, 2011

Sand Dunes / Zapata Falls

We had a reunion with all of my sisters and their families.  The first day we played at the sand dunes and had a big picnic lunch.  Now these aren’t just dunes they are more like mountains of sand.  In some of the pictures you can see little dots in the background on the sand, those are people.

Sand dunes Sand dunes2 Sand dunes3 Sand dunes4

The small creek bed was completely dry this year.  SO we decided to head up to the nearby waterfall.  You walk up a little rocky trail to a creek.  Here are some of the slower hikers, visiting and helping little ones.  The other half of our group are on up ahead .

 Zapata Falls6 Zapata Falls5

Then you walk in the creek into a cave, in which there is a beautiful waterfall.  You can see the entrance of the cave that Rebecca and Makayla are starting to go in.

Zapata Falls

Zapata Falls2  Zapata Falls4 Ashley found a rock that she HAD to have.  I refused to carry any more and she carried it all the way down without complaint.

Zapata Falls9 The view coming down was beautiful.  You could see the dunes down in the distance.  I love hiking with family because it is the perfect time to visit with each other.

Zapata Falls7

1 comment:

Jaymerz said...

My kids love to collect rocks when we are hiking, as long as they can carry them I let them.
I do have a question, do you have a favorite camera case for hiking or do you just wear it around your neck. We love to hike but I don't usually pack my camera with me but would love too.
Thanks!!