Monday, May 18, 2015

Nest

I was sitting eating breakfast one morning when a big magpie started attacking the bluebird house.  I watched as he would flutter by the hole trying to peck out the eggs inside.  He couldn’t reach them and instead would toss parts of the nest out of the house.  Stephen and I couldn’t believe our eyes as we watched him pull string and twigs from the small hole.  We chased him away and noted all the parts of the nest that were once carefully built.

A little while later the bluebirds came back and commenced rebuilding their home.  I felt sorry for them.  In an instant all of their hard work was destroyed by prey.  They were lucky the eggs deep in the nest were left unharmed. 

As I watched the magpie, I was grateful that I wasn’t a bird that could have her nest destroyed.  Yet thoughout the day as I pondered my home, I realized that there are many ways that my little “nest” for my children can be destroyed from the outside.  How important it is that I am vigilant to keeping my home safe!  I spend forever cleaning, cooking, decorating, teaching, creating a beautiful home for my family to enjoy.  I am constantly trying to enrich my home, but sometimes not so careful about protecting what I have inside my home. 

SO that is my goal this week.  Watching and analyzing how I can protect my sweet family and home from all of the outside influences.  I know that there are already things that I have noticed just in today alone!  Grateful for my magpie / bluebird lesson today!

No comments: