Monday, December 8, 2014

Thankful FHE

Last month for FHE I shared a lesson on expressing thankfulness.  Before the night I wrapped up a box and had it sitting by our fireplace.  In retrospect I should have wrapped up a treat to help in proving my point and then it could’ve been our treat as well for FHE.

Thankful FHE

We discussed what might be in the package.  Is it something that could go bad or could it last forever?  We talked about how sweet it is to give something to another to enjoy.  We also discussed about the idea of wrapping up a gift and then not giving it.  Could the person or receiver enjoy the gift?  Would we be able to benefit from giving and feel good inside for doing so?  We basically analyzed this quote….

Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it. 

- William Arthur Ward

I shared a few experiences of people that had complimented or expressed gratitude towards me and how I still remember how I felt as they spoke their sweet words.  Some of the kids then shared as well.

We finished by writing a card to someone.  I told them that they could pick anyone and tell them anything positive.  I smiled at the people that my family chose to write to.

Expressing gratitude is so essential to our well being.  Even when we don’t think we have anything to be grateful for, we can ALWAYS find something!  In the book of John we read the story of feeding the five thousand with the five loaves of bread and two fish.  In chapter 6 verse 11 it says, “And Jesus took the loaves; and then when he had given thanks he distributed to the disciples”.

He didn’t complain that there wasn’t enough for the five thousand, instead he expressed gratitude for what he did have.  This was the first thing he did, AND THEN the miracle happened.  I think that so many times in our lives it is after we express our gratitude for what we have, that we are able to see and find the numerous blessings that surround us.  It is also then that miracles happen.  We are humble.  We are recognizing and giving thanks to our dear Father.  We are grateful for what we do have.

I know that if we pray with gratitude and express gratitude to those around us for the little that we have, our blessings will be multiplied!

No comments: