Monday, July 29, 2013

Brushstrokes FHE

Tonight I based a lot of our lesson off of Elder David Bednar’s talk, “More Diligent and Concerned at Home”.  I started out by showing the following two images.

 Brushstrokes2 Brushstrokes3

Some of the kids guessed that it was Jacob’s paints mixed together.  Some of them were curious about where I had taken the pictures.  I told them that it was only a tiny piece to something bigger.  We then discussed how small pieces don’t give you the full picture.  They can share detail with you, but the bigger picture is missing.

I then showed them the “big picture”.  It’s actually a very large painting that we have hanging in our piano room.

Brushstrokes

We then talked about each individual brushstroke that comprises this painting.  Each is vital and important in creating the masterpiece, yet each can not stand alone.  I shared some of Elder Bednar’s talk and then asked what some of the brushstrokes are in our lives.  We discussed the masterpiece that we are each creating for our individual souls.  No one prayer will define us, but many a prayer will create who we are.  No one act of service will completely tell the world that we are kind, yet one act after another will certainly show others who we really are.

I finished by challenging everyone to take a look at the brushstrokes that they are painting in their lives.  I asked them to think about their bigger picture that they are trying to create for themselves.  I also gave them each a littler reminder for their bulletin boards.

Canvas

We finished the evening off with a big game of “Masterpiece”.  It is an art game that is a definite favorite from when I was a child.  :)

2 comments:

Nicole S said...

Were you always this philosophical? I should have learned more from you when we were roomies! You never cease to amaze me.

Unknown said...

Oh Nicole, I am NOT philosophical! :) Just trying to teach these kids before they all leave home. :)