Monday, June 15, 2015

Work

I have been thinking about work lately.  They always say that if you do what you love, the money will follow you   I was thinking how true that is.  Nathan earns money reffing soccer, Jacob lifeguarding, me with photography.  It’s just a bonus that you get money doing what you enjoy, which is another saying, “do you what love and you will never work”.

Last week I dropped the girls off at a friend’s house.  She has a gorgeous yard in the forest and had plenty of jobs for them that she wasn’t able to do.  I smiled as I drove away.  Not only were they earning money, but they were learning from her.  She is such a sweet woman and could teach them things all day.  They also could see how she does various chores and tips on how to do them.  They truly would be learning as they were earning.

That same week the big girls babysat and dog watched.  Once again they were understanding what it means to entertain and take care of others.  They were learning what it’s like to be in charge and responsible.  By the end of the week they had $120 a piece from all of their jobs.  I smiled as they figured out tithing and asked to go to the bank to deposit money into their savings.  SO much is learned from working!

I talked with a friend last month who was telling me why she doesn’t like her kids to have summer jobs.  “It just gets in the way of summer and relaxing” she said.  I really have to disagree.  I see Jacob going off to lifeguard every day during the week and then busy fitting in swim practice time and other activities he needs to do.  He is learning how to manage his time.  He is learning what it means to have a job.  I LOVE it!

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison

Here is to a new week filled with work!

No comments: