Monday, June 14, 2010

Lucky Day at Wal-Mart

I am always in awe of Katherine's photos AND her ideas.  When I saw this ONE I couldn't resist doing it.
Lucky
My nephew, Dalton and my parents are here now too.  That means we are up to 13 kids and 5 adults.  We divided into three groups and did some happiness spreading in Wal-Mart.  Each group was given two envelopes with money inside.  They had to find two different people to give them to OR place the envelopes somewhere to be found.  The teams also had to give three sincere compliments OR greetings to people in the store.  We were then to meet back and discuss our deeds.

It was SOOO fun to see people's reactions and see the kids giggling as they did it.  Rebecca and Karley went straight up to an older couple as soon as their group got the envelopes.  The little grandma asked them what this was all about and then got this big smile and told them they were so sweet to choose her and that she felt special.  The older boys were with grandpa.  They took one of their envelopes and put it on the conveyer belt to the cashier.  As it rolled down the conveyer and the cashier opened it she kept asking who this was from.  I'm sure she figured it out as she saw the four cheesy grins staring at her from the next aisle.  The older girls and grandma gave one to a mother with a ton of groceries and kids.  I caught them doing it and seeing her face and the girls faces made me almost cry.  Ash and Sydney ran an envelope to a little girl their age.  Ash kept saying "open it, there is money inside, open it...."

When we talked about the compliments or greetings I was really surprised by reactions.  Nathan told a lady that he liked her jacket and the boys said that she glared at him like he was making fun of her.  Makayla mentioned the same sort of thing.  I think it is sad that we live in such a sarcastic society that sweet compliments can be misinterpreted as being smarty.

We did have fun!  I sooo enjoyed watching the expressions of everyone involved.

Kristy gave Stephen and I a sweet surprise.  She took our van one day to pick up kids.  When she came back the cracked windshield was magically changed into a BRAND NEW windshield.  Kris is always so sweet to do things for others.  Thanks again Kristy!  You are Awesome!

7 comments:

Becky W. said...

Shauna,
I have had this happen to me also. I was at Ross looking at shoes for the kids. A lady came up to us and chatted for a few minutes. Next thing I know she was handing me a gift card for Ross. I was a little embarassed at first, but she was so nice and sincere. We went to check out and she was at the door waiting for us with an outfit for my son and a toy for both of the girls. I will never forget her. She will never know how much we needed that at the time.

Mary said...

This was such a sweet post!!

katherinemarie said...

That is sooooo AWESOME!!! I love your version!!! :):)

Rachel S. Smith said...

I love this idea! This might become a tradition for our family around the holidays.

Paula said...

That is certainly a sweet idea!!! I have trouble thinking outside the box sometimes so thanks for this idea! What great values you are teaching your children!

Tara said...

Shauna - we just LOVE you!! We are highlighting this idea on our "Dating Divas" blog tomorrow! Thank you for all your awesome posts! :)

Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

Wow, what a great idea! We live in a community that has a lot, so we often forget about those that may be having a tough time or just might need a smile on their face. I will definately do this with my son when he's old enough.

Found you on Dating Divas!